Nutella Acai Bowl
A Nutella Acai Bowl that is perfect for the morning or snack-time when you’re looking for something healthy, but just a touch decadent and sweet. With a classic Acai Bowl base and tons of toppings, this Nutella Acai Bowl is super fun and customizable!
Last January, we went out to LA on our way up to Mammoth to ski. We flew out on a Friday night and I insisted that we stay in Marina Del Ray so that we could take a quick walk on the beach and I could get a smoothie bowl in the morning before driving up to the mountains. Upon walking into Venice Beach the next morning, we found the perfect cafe that served coffee, smoothie bowls and fully-loaded breakfast sandwiches — a perfect compromise for Luke and I!
And though I had every intention of choosing a nutritious smoothie bowl packed with fresh fruit, the second I spotted this Nutella Acai Bowl on the menu, I had no choice! It was a delicious acai base loaded with whipped cream, coconut flakes, granola and fresh banana. With a ginormous scoop of nutella plopped right in the center. I mean, come on! Completely irresistible and wildly delicious.
And I’ve been dreaming of it ever since.
If you’re headed to Venice, you’ve got to check out The Cow’s End Cafe. We’re 100% going back on our next trip to LA.
What You Need to Make a Nutella Acai Bowl
- A frozen unsweetened acai packet (like these from Sambazon)
- Your favorite non-dairy milk
- A frozen banana
- Your choice of frozen berries
- A date or a drop of maple syrup or honey, for sweetness
- Nutella, of course!
- Plus any other toppings you’d like. My favorites are fresh fruit, coconut whipped cream, coconut flakes, cacao nibs and hemp seeds
How to Make a Nutella Acai Bowl
- Blend up! Acai, berries, banana, a date and some almond milk
- Load ‘er up with all the toppings your little heart desires.
- Finish it off with a heavy drizzle of Nutella.
If you’re like me, you love ordering an Acai Bowl at your local juice bar, but can find it tricky to make them at home. Finally, I figured out a few Acai Bowl hacks to make it easier to whip them up at home.
Tips for making Acai Bowls at home
- Acai bowls can be particularly tough to blend because the frozen acai packet is one huge chunk that the blender needs to work through. And if we add too much liquid, the resulting bowl will be too thin for toppings.
- When layering your smoothie into the blender, start with the liquid on the bottom, this helps to get the blades moving.
- Use your blender’s tamper attachment, if it has one (this is why I’m a huge fan of Refurbished Vitamix blenders. They have tamper attachments and by purchasing a refurbished one, you’ll save more money!)
- With a tamper, you’ll have an easier time because you can make sure that the giant block of frozen acai moves around and doesn’t get stuck in one spot with the blade whirring uselessly. But if you don’t have a tamper, I suggest pulsing your blender 15-20 times, scraping the inside of the blender in between each pulse, to break up the big chunks of frozen fruit. This will keep your blender from getting stuck.
- If needed, you can add a touch more liquid, but be careful, a little goes a very long way once you finally get the acai to break down. Instead focus first on making sure the blender is able to move the chunks of frozen fruit around easily. Then if it’s still too thick, add a teaspoon of additional milk at a time.
- 1 packet frozen acai
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 date pit removed
- 2 tablespoons coconut whipped cream
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1 banana sliced thinly
- 3 strawberries sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- coconut flakes
- cacao nibs
In a high-speed blender, combine the frozen acai, banana, almond milk, frozen berries and date. Blend on high for 2 minutes until smooth. If your blender doesn't have a plunger, you may need to pulse the blender contents for awhile, scraping down the inside of the blender with a spatula between each pulse.
Pour the mixture into a bowl and top with the coconut whipped cream, granola, sliced banana, sliced strawberries, and a drizzle of Nutella, plus any other toppings your heart desires!