Who knew scones could be guilt-free?! Using coconut oil instead of butter, these scones maintain their flaky, crunchy, rich texture & flavor.
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 ½ Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 Tbsp maple extract
- 3/4 cup spelt flour (or sub more all purpose)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil (room temperature-scoopable)
- 1/3 cup cinnamon chips
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Stir in the almond milk and maple extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and rosemary.
- Add coconut oil and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut it into the mixture until only small bits remain.
- Whisk the flax-almond milk mixture once more and add to the dry ingredients a little at a time while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the cinnamon chips to incorporate.
- Gently transfer to a floured surface and use your hands to form it into a disc about 1 inch in height. Use a large knife to cut the circle into 8 even wedges. Transfer the scones to a baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with a bit more sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until fluffy and light golden brown on the edges.
*Adapted from Minimalist Baker’s Coconut Oil Blueberry Scones with Rosemary (which you should totally try… they’re ahh-mazing!)