There is nothing more hip or dependable than a Kale Caesar salad. It’s delicious, creamy, salty and garlicky—and what I want to eat 75% of the time.
It’s delish and ya feel healthy ordering/making it! Forget that it’s raison d’etre is really in the shaved parmesan and sourdough croutons (or focaccia croutons, if you’re Albany Ale & Oyster—my fav)…
But enough kale makes anyone feel virtuous!
Some say that the Kale Caesar is a tired, over-done salad. So I present to you (drum roll please….)
The Surf + Turf Kale Caesar Salad.
This turns your regular ol’ Kale Caesar (which really was quite fine to begin with), into a super-fancy, totally up-leveled dish!
This baby marries the luxurious surf and turf combo of grilled steak and shrimp with the healthy basis of the Kale Caesar.
And of course, I can’t forget to mention the dressing… this one is based on the best vegan caesar dressing ever from Oh She Glows. It’s super creamy—and so garlicky, you won’t even realize it’s vegan!
Surf and Turf Kale Caesar
Makes 2 dinner salads
3/4 lb strip steak
8 large shrimp
salt & pepper
1 romaine heart
4 large kale leaves
1 batch vegan caesar dressing (see below)
1/4 cup croutons
2 wooden kebab skewers
Caesar Dressing, adapted from Oh She Glows
1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
For the Dressing:
1. Soak cashews in a bowl of water for a few hours or over night. Drain and rinse.
2. Add the cashews and all other dressing ingredients into a high-speed blender, and blend on high until the dressing is super smooth.
For the Salads:
1. Clean and prepare the romaine and kale. Remove the kale stems and discard. Shred leaves into bite size pieces. Repeat with the romaine.
2. Heat grill to high heat and soak skewers in water.
3. Grill the steak for 8 minutes per side, or until medium. Remove from grill and let sit for 10 minutes covered with aluminum foil while shrimp cooks.
4. Thread shrimp on skewers and grill for 3 minutes per side until cooked through.
5. Toss the kale and romaine in the caesar dressing. Add the croutons and toss once more. Slice steak into strips and place on top of greens topped with a shrimp skewer.