Sweet, sweet summertime.
Now that it’s officially June (woo!), I’m all about all things summer. Which means we’ve been grilling everything. As often as possible. And I couldn’t be happier about it.
Grilling’s the best for two reasons.
One: Everything tastes better off the grill. Name one thing that wouldn’t benefit from a little fireside time… I know, you can’t. Meat, veggies (omg, grilled veg is my fav), fish, fruit, pizza, bread, marshmallows.
Two: There are like zero dishes. I mean, there are still a few prep and serving dishes. But practically no dishes.
Nothing screams summer more than zero dishes are char marks on EVerything.
Hello gorgeous little shrimps! Grilled shrimp is the bomb. Soak these babies in a little olive oil/garlic/lemon bath for a couple minute before skewering them and tossing them on a hot grill and they come out nearly perfect every time. Plus, they only take a couple minutes to cook. Nothin’ better than that!
With a little side of this cool Kale & Ginger Quinoa salad, this dinner is a snap. It’s delicious and light—leaving you plenty of room for a big bowl of ice cream for dessert.
Hey! It’s summer, right?!
- For the Shrimp:
- 1/2 lb raw, deveined shrimp, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- salt & pepper
- For the Quinoa:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt & pepper
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, crushed red pepper and a dash of salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and let marinate for 20 minutes. Heat the grill to medium-high.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add in the quinoa and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until all water is gone.
- Once cooked, shred the kale on top on the quinoa and put the lid back on. Steam the kale for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a small sauté pan, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the red pepper and onion and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Remove from heat.
- Mix the peppers and onions into the quinoa pot along with the olive oil, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Soak wooden skewers for 1 minute, then thread 6 shrimp onto each skewer. Grill each skewer for 3-4 minutes on each side until shrimp are cooked through.