Moving week is exciting, annoying, and stressful. But mostly exciting. Especially when we are moving in together. I decided that I would cook one final meal before cleaning everything and packing the kitchen to make it easier. From here on in, it’s dino nuggets and french fries and a toaster oven to tide us over in the next week.
This was the last supper. It had to be tasty. It had to be new. It had to be easy. And it had to use at least two things from the cabinets/fridge/pantry. Crispy Beef with Noodles successfully used up some spaghetti in my pantry, the chili paste in the back of the fridge, and the frying oil!
And it was wickedly easy. Except for when we were trying to crush the garlic. The face with all the holes came clean off. Right into the bowl of soy sauce.
I don’t even know… my boyfriend is The Hulk. I’m still speechless.
Side note: Make sure to get your frying oil super hot. We made this mistake, and the first batch wasn’t as crispy as we would have liked. And then my boyfriend had to listen to me whining about not having a wok for the next hour. Which was additionally annoying as I simultaneously complained about having too much kitchen stuff to pack..
Make this Crispy Beef with Noodles. It’s delish and filling. I can’t wait to make it again once I’ve unpacked!
- 1- 10 oz. package noodles (anything works, I used whole wheat spaghetti)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- For the beef:
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-4 tbsp hot chili paste
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Slice the beef into thin, bite size strips. Toss in a Ziploc bag with the cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Make sure it's totally zipped up and shakeshakeshake to coat.
- Get water boiling for the noodles. Cook according to package directions.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan (or wok!), heat the oil. Get it hothothot. Fry the beef in batches until it is crispy and cooked through. Drain the beef on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss the noodles, beef and sauce to combine. Serve in bowls with a generous sprinkle of scallions.
Make sure that you get the oil super hot before frying! That's how we get crispy!