We love burger night. It’s quick, easy, super satisfying and requires little clean up. While there’s lots of room to get creative with burger toppings, we tend to keep it really simple. Which can get boring. So taking a quick detour to France (inspired by the wheel of brie in the cheese drawer!), I created these Bistro Burgers with Brie and Caramelized Onions to shake things up.
And they were so overwhelmingly delicious that they’re bound to become a staple around here.
I know there are a variety of opinions on red meat. Ours comes from a farm share that we split with Luke’s parents. It’s grass-fed, abundant in nutrients and incredibly flavorful—a far cry from the ground beef that we pick up with the grocery store. We love it.
Which is good, because we end up with a freezer full of it. There’s only so much ground beef we can eat, and we often scramble for ways to use it after we get sick of tacos and burgers.
But these Bistro Burgers are a totally different story. It could be the quality of the beef. It could be the creaminess of the Brie. It could be the kick of the aioli. Or it could simply be the decadence of the brioche buns.
I’m pretty sure it’s the combination of all the above. But, they’re impossible to get sick of.
And don’t think twice about the sides. Serve ’em with a side of fries to scoop up the rest of that precious aioli!
Bistro Burgers with Brie and Caramelized Onions
Makes 2 burgers
3/4 lb ground beef
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 brioche buns
2 small handfuls leafy greens (spinach, arugula, baby kale)
1 medium onion
2 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices brie
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix with hands to combine and form into two burgers. Press you thumb lightly into the center of each (this helps keep your burgers flat as they cook).
2. Prep Onions: Slice onion into thin half moons. Heat a small saute pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add the onions to pan and stir. Cook for 25 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring very few minutes to keep onions from sticking.
3. Prep Aioli: In a small bowl, combine the mayo, garlic clove, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Grill the burgers on high heat for 7 minutes per side. With a couple minutes left on the final side, add 1 1/2 slices of brie to each burger. Let them melt down.
5. Toast the brioche buns on the grill, cut side down, for 1 minute.
5. Build the burger by layering the onions and greens on top of the burger with melted brie. Add the garlic aioli to the top bun and take a big juicy bite!